Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Deck the Halls

Well, it is officially the Christmas season, and boy I am excited! I have most of my shopping done. Don't be jealous. I didn't have a lot of people to shop for. I still have to decide what to get for a certain someone that I know (Kase). Boys are hard to shop for. They like weird things and then they buy the things they want instead of waiting for someone to get it for them. Atleast, I know my husband does that. He's like a kid with a wallet. Or the things that he likes are too expensive so I can't get them.

Anyways. I am rambling. But really I am excited about sending out christmas cards, wraping gifts, watching christmas movies, sipping hot cocoa, spending time with family, and singing Christmas songs. ahhhhhhhhhh....

Yesterday I decorated our tree. I did so because I wanted to and I was also in avoidance of writing the last two papers I have due for school. Procrastination is a talent you know. Tree decorating this year has been in stages. Sunday, Kase put the tree up. Monday, we put on the lights. Tuesday, I put the ornaments on and the tree skirt that I found on clearance last year. Thank you Martha Stewart.
The Monster (my dog) did not make it easy to put the tree skirt on as she seemed to think that it was her new bed. But after struggling with her, knocking over the heater, and bumping my elbow, I realized that I am indeed smarter than the dog and sent her outside while I tied the tree skirt on. (wow that was a run-on sentence if I ever saw one. Like I said, I am smart.)
So here is our tree for this year:
Looks a lot like last year. I know.

Here is my strategy: Every year we buy an ornament (or two) that represents some event or happening from that year. We stole this tradition from Kase's parents.
Our 1st year together was the "Our Christmas Together" ornament.
The 2nd year was the "Our New House" ornament:












This year we actually bought two new ones. One is a nativity scene carved out of an olive tree that we found on vacation in Gatlinburn last spring.















The other is a graduation ornament for me! Mostly because I like to relish in graduating. (finally)















(No that isn't me in the picture in the ornament. It's the model. I haven't actually graduated yet so I don't have a picture to put in it yet. Although, don't think it hasn't crossed my mind to dress up in my cap/gown and snap a quick picture to stuff in there. That is cheating, though, so I won't do it.)

The rest of the tree is covered in either fun ornaments people have given us or the generic glass balls that always seem to dive off the tree all by themselves and shatter in a million pieces. One day, I hope the tree is covered with all different kinds of ornaments.















The end. No more rambling. I am done. Ok I am rambling again. I am done. Now.

5 comments:

Katy Beth said...

I love Christmas time too. It's wonderful! Your tree looks gorgeous & what a fun tradition!! I can't wait until next year when we can decorate & have our own tree up. We have tons of ornatments we have collected & Livvy loves the decorations. haha
Ok, so now I'm rambling. I've always done that though. Is it contagious, becasue I think you might have caught it from me. Sorry!

Bill and Jennifer Hammond said...

I love your tree!! We finished ours yesterday! We've had to make do with what we have...and the space we lack!! And I completely agree that boys are hard to shop for...to add to that though, my mom is just as hard!! Have fun wrapping presents; I can't wait until my finals are over so I can start making and wrapping presents!! We should have a Christmasy date night...

Beth said...

I love your tree!!! It's beautiful!!

Lori said...

Beautiful! We just decorated our tree tonight. It makes the whole room so much prettier, doesn't it?

Bill and Jennifer Hammond said...

We have not seen the Christmas Carol at UT. When is it showing? That would be so fun!