Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Lead Me, Guide Me, Walk Beside Me

This semester I am taking a Leadership class. It has actually been a pretty good class. I really like the professor. She is very entertaining and enthusiastic, while not overly crazy. By that I mean, she doesn't require a 20 billion page paper and no group projects.

Oh, how I loathe group projects.

What? Sorry. Back to my story.

So I really respect and like my teacher and pretty much agree with most of what she says. Until yesterday. Yesterday, our topic was women in leadership and she discussed why women do not usually hold high power positions. Then she spoke about how things use to be. How women use to be required to stay at home and nurture. They were stay at home mothers whose jobs were to merely make the home nice. She spoke of how women are viewed as being different. How they have been held back and haven't had the chance to be out in the world so they can be successful. Then she said that she feels that things are changing and she hopes that we will get rid of those ideals forever.

"WHAT?!" I thought. She doesn't understand. When I attended a church institute class, I remember my teacher (good old President Lehman) telling me to always keep in mind that my professors do not know everything. I had forgotten.

Everything she described seemed like the most wonderful job in the world. What could be more wonderful than staying at home with children teaching them and guiding them? What could be better than making your home warm and full of joy? I think that is leadership. I mean really, who would you remember more: Your boss who you worked under for several years, or your mother? Who would you feel had a more powerful impact upon your life? I know my mother has.

It is sad that the world is changing in this way. That they view one of the most important jobs as something so insignificant. That a strong well educated woman like my professor has such backward priorities. Unlike my teacher, I hope that those ideals do not dissapear. I hope that mothers realize how important their job as a parent is. I hope that one day, I will have the privilige of being a stay-at-home mom. If not, then definately a mother who puts my children first.


Not only do mothers love, teach, and guide their children, but doing this effects generations. In the face of adversity, mothers hold true to what they believe and sacrifice for their children. I think that is true leadership.

4 comments:

Katy Beth said...

Thank goodness there are still smart people, like you, out there!

I look forward to the day I can leave the worforce & be a stay-at-home mom! They are crazy...

erin said...

I agree completely. I love being a stay at home mom and there is nothing I'd love to do more at this time. I think it is weird that as a culture we expect other people to take care of our kids. I understand for some this is a necessity, but there are others who could stay at home and raise their kids but don't. How did we get to the point where it's completely normal to let other people watch our kids and backwards to want to take care of our own children and spend time with them?

Bill and Jennifer Hammond said...

You know I have all of the books if you would like to borrow them!! Just let me know!

Lori said...

So well put, Laura. It's so sad that motherhood can be so grossly undervalued.