Thursday, February 19, 2009

I am Grateful for...

Nearby Parking. I work downtown where there is not a lot of parking. Places charge a million dollars to park. I use to park in a free lot down by the river, under the bridge, until my catalytic converter was stolen off of my car. So now, everyday, I park about 6 blocks from work. It's up hill both ways, and across busy Henley street. It's sort of like playing frogger. (Don't worry Mom, I am exaggerating slightly.) You are suppose to pay $30 to park there, but I don't. It's a Methodist Church parking lot. So, effectively, I am stealing from a Church. Noone has ever asked me to pay, so I haven't.

I don't really know what it's like to be able to just park outside the door of my everyday desired destination. The University of Tennessee has about 100 parking passes per parking spot, and the parking lots are not anywhere close to classes. Even at Walmart or Target, I am rarely able to find an empty close spot that isn't for expectant mothers or labeled handicapped. I have worked in the same building since 2003 and have had a long trek from my car. But I digress...

Sometimes, when it's raining, really really cold, or I am just lazy, I pay to park in the garage across the street from work. This has hazards of its own. I have to wait for about 15 minutes in the turn lane to turn onto the street for the garage. It never fails that someone in a mercedes or BMW pulls into the NON TURN LANE, around everyone who has been patiently waiting, and cuts us all off. I can feel my blood boiling in my ears as I plot ways to speed around these people and cut them off. Fortunately, I remind myself that they are probably a lawyer and that would be a bad idea. I am able to control myself and make it to the parking garage safely.

Once in the garage, I have to pay $7.00 to park! This equals lunch for two days, a (matinee) movie ticket, or dinner at taco bell. Seriously, that is a lot of money to pay! I mean, this garage has like 400 parking spots. At 7.00 a day that is $2,800.00 a day! That's Crazy! Did I mention that this garage is actually cheap compared to others downtown?

So after all the road rage and panic from spending too much money, I finally get to my desk at work needing a little break. Is the short walk to my car worth it? When I get off of work and don't have to walk 5 miles in the cold/rain/sleet/dark to play frogger across Henley Street. YES it is worth it.

2 comments:

Katy Beth said...

I agree. I remember how it was. And it is totally worth every penny!

Btw,we did go see the Features on Saturday. Yeah, Joey said he figured ya'll would be there. I was gonna call or e-mail you to see if you wanted to come with us, but then I remembered I had an old number for you from who knows how long ago & you probably wouldn't check your e-mail haha! I had heard them on the radio, but I'd never seen them. I loved it! They were great! Llama Train opened. No, I don't have the new CD yet, but Joey should be getting it really soon. He gets alot of the new stuff from the station, alot of times before it hits the shelves. If you want to wait a few days, I can see if he can get it & I can give you a copy. Just let me know!

Katina Angola said...

You are a brave woman!!!