Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Thoughts on being a Working Mom

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be a stay at home mom. I know it would still be hard work but sometimes I wonder how different my life would be. I would love to stay at home with Eliza everyday. I feel like my soul would be freeer some how. Dont get me wrong, I love my job. If I have to work I couldn't pick a better place, but I still wonder what it would be like if things were different. As a kid, I always pictured myself being a stay-at-home mom just like my mother.

Kase and I would love to find a way for me to stay home. We pray about it and look for things we can do. Hopefully one day we will find a way.

Last week I had to travel for work. I was gone from Tuesday till Friday. It was hard for me to leave the Bug. Fortunately, I dont have to do that very often. On the plus side, there is a temple where I went and I was able to go.

I always enjoy going to the temple by myself because I feel like I focus better. As I sat in the temple I thought about being a working mom. I thought about how I feel inadequate sometimes and I often feel judged by others (that may be mostly in my head). I thought about how I feel lonely and often feel left out. I decided that if this is how I am suppose to be living right now, I dont want to be sad or constantly wishing for another way of life. I want to be happy. I suddenly felt that Heavenly Father knows me and loves me. I felt that I am special. I am not better than anyone else by any means but special in my own way. So many women that I would love to be like have a different way of life and sometimes that maks me feel unworthy or sad. But the truth is I am not those other women. I am doing something a lot of them would not be able to do. I am going to strive to be happy doing it and to set a good example. I had an overwhelming felling that I'm doing what I should be doing. Just like others are doing what they should be doing. I may not always be able to volunteer bring food to people in the middle of a work day, have the cleanest house, get to go to fun play groups, or weekday lunches but I am a good mother and wife. My daughter is happy, smart, and healthy. I just have a different life right now. That does not mean it is bad. It does not mean that someone who says a negative comment to me about being a working mother knows what they are talking about. I am doing just fine. I don't know what the future will bring for my sweet family but I know that I have been blessed beyond measure. I have the sweetest family and I am a good wife and mother whether I am at home or work.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

We had a lesson about this in R.S. a few weeks ago and all I could think about was my mom and you. I even commented during the lesson that it was a sensitive subject for me because my mom worked, etc. Anyway, you are an awesome mother and I hope you know I think very highly of you for what you do. That's great you were able to have such a good experience in the temple.

Beth said...

I am SO HAPPY that you got to go to the temple!!! And you are an awesome mom that I love and respect. As women, it's so hard not to compare ourselves_something that I struggle with every day.

Tiffany said...

I really don't know what it's like to be in this situation because I don't have kids, but I do know it's not easy having to deal with the all of the opinions and comments from others. Women can be just plain awful to each other. They are no better than you because they have the luxury of staying home and you are no better than them for working. I know in the end you will always do what is best for you and your family. I think you do a great job!