Friday, March 16, 2012

The Big 3-0!

So I am at the start of a new decade. My FOURTH decade. How crazy is that?

Thirty use to seem pretty old. Now that it is here, I don't feel old at all. I feel like I've just gotten started.

I use to write my "future self" letters. You know, the kind where you write what you hope you have accomplished by a certain date, seal it up, and write "Do Not Open Until (insert date here)." So here it goes.




Dear Future 40-year-old Laura, (OK now I am kind of depressed a little)

I hope by the time you are 40, you still don't feel old.

I hope that you have lots more babies. But if you don't, I hope you are not sad about it. And just love the baby/babies that you have.

Not to be materialistic, but I hope you have more money. With this money, I hope that you have a nicer car because well.... the jeep is not doing so good back here in 2012. My guess is at 224,000 miles this car is not going to go much longer.

I hope that you like your job, love your husband even more (if that is even possible), still kiss your daughter's cheeks (even if she still doesn't like it), and still have great friends.

I hope you live in a house that does not have neighbor's dogs that bark constantly in the back yard. I also hope you have a few flowers in your weed bed.

I hope you have went on a few fun trips over the last 10 years.

I hope your zits finally go away (yes I said it). I'm starting to think wrinkles are at least better than zits.

I hope you still have a strong testimony of the gospel.

I hope you are happy, and I hope you strive to bring happiness to others.

Happy Birthday to me.

Love,

Your younger self,

Laura

PS 40 isn't old either. 40 is the new 20 you know.

No comments: