Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cooking is not my Talent

But I do enjoy baking. Last week, the day before my husband's birthday, I decided I would bake his birthday cake. It would be great. I would bake it and it could cool so the next day I could frost it and create my master piece. (The ultimate goal being a cake that looks like a movie film reel.)



So I mixed and stirred and measured. The bright red velvet mixture was poured into two round pans and ready for baking. Kase (said husband) was upstairs working on a project with his uncle Randy. This was going to be the best cake ever! In only 30 minutes the cake would be done.



So what to do in the meantime? Well, how about a re-run episode of Friends. That's right, yes, that's a great idea. It's one of my favorite shows. Perfect. I sat down on the couch to enjoy some laughter.



And then it happened....


I woke up. I had fallen asleep. It was about 9:30.... "What is that smell?" I thought, trying to remember what I had been doing. OHH NO!


I am not sure how long the cake baked, probably around an hour. I am sure that it was burnt.

Photobucket


I had managed to turn the pretty red velvet into a black crispy kind.


Oops.


After I cried,


I considered changing the film reel themed cake to a hockey puck themed cake.



Kase was kind and sweet. He even ate some of the non burned spots. YUM.




Photobucket

The next day, I managed to bake a non blackened version. It turned out pretty good. Whew. Crisis averted.

Photobucket

(Film Reel Cake. The fruit by the foot coming out of the cake is suppose to be the film.)

Maybe next year, we'll go for a cookie cake.

4 comments:

Lori said...

So awesome! So funny! Can't stop laughing at the hockey pucks. But then you managed to pull off an awesome film cake even still!

Erin_C said...

there's something we have in common. i burn EVERYTHING i try to bake. total failure.

but your film cake turned out SO CUTE! at least you have cake decorating talent? ha ha

Beth said...

Ahhhhhhh, Laura!!! I am so sad about your burnt cake! But the unburnt one is awesome!!!!

Katina Angola said...

It happens to everyone!!! I knew kase would eat it anyway. Thank heaven for the timers right there on the oven!