Friday, July 24, 2009

CA to FL and Everywhere In Between

This week I have been in Columbia, South Carolina, for work training. It's interesting because I get to meet people from all over the country who do my exact same job. They are like me in an alternate universe. During the week, you get to chat with these people and go out to dinner and such. We often refer to each other by what state we are from, just because it's easier. For instance, my main friend this week was Rhode Island. She works in RI but actually lives in Boston. I like her. She says fun things like "Grocery Market", "Wicked", "Huge Big", and "Rememba".

During the week, I met Nebraska, Georgia, California, DC, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas, North Carolina, and so on. Very nice people. One night Rhode Island and I were walking through the lobby when we ran into Florida. She had her husband, 6 month old, and 9 year old with her. We chatted and she introduced us to her husband. "Sweetie, this is Miss Tennessee and Miss Rhode Island." We chatted a while and goo-ed over her baby. I noticed her 9 yr old seemed to be staring at us kindof funny.

The next day, she told us that after we had left, her 9 yr old had said "Mommy how come Miss TN and Miss RI didn't have crowns and sashes like the ladies on TV". haha. He thought we were beauty queens or something! How funny. I guess he probably thought that beauty queens sure do look better on TV then in real life!

Other funny story: Security is very important at training. (After all it is the government.) During class, if you had to go to the bathroom, you had to memorize a code to be able to get into the outside batroom door. I went out into the hallway and began looking for the bathroom. I couldn't find it. Finally, I found a door with a key pad, punched in the numbers, and it let me in.

Later, Rhode Island had to go to the bathroom so we went out for another trip. She passed the room that I had went into earlier. "Where are you going" I asked. "To the bathroom, rememba?" she said. I thought to myself, if this is the bathroom where did I go earlier? On the way back to class, I realized I had used the mens restroom. Perfect.

Things I was reminded of this week:

1. I don't care if my future kids take tennis lessons, speak only french in their 7th grade classrooms, or are enrolled in the same private school as the president's daughters so they can go to white house sleepovers. I just want my future kids to be happy. (Thanks Miss DC)

2. I don't care about getting promotions, and furthering my career. I just want to make decent money so I can support my family and pay off my student loans. (Thanks Miss NH)

4. If I were Miss Tennesse I would work towards world peace. (Also, saving children, feeding the poor, umm....... spaying and neutering pets....)

5. Seriously though, Tennessee is beautiful.

6. I have the best husband.

7. I am grateful for my life.

4 comments:

erin said...

I've used the men's room before too without realizing it. I didn't realize it until I walked out of the stall and saw a row of urinals in front of me. I don't know how I didn't notice them before I went in. I was just glad that no one was standing there using one. In my defense, I was in a foreign country. Glad you had fun.

The Fishers said...

nice! sounds fun...minus the getting friendly with the men's bathroom!

Katina Angola said...

In some situations it is perfectly fine to use the men's room

Lori said...

You make me laugh!
Once at BYU I barged right into a bathroom only to be met with a bunch of boys washing their hands at the sinks. (Thank goodness it was just the sinks!) I started taking a new route from then on out so I could avoid that hallway at that time.