Thursday, September 3, 2009

What's for Dinner (or lunch)?

Since we've been back from vacation, we have been trying a new experiment. We are not eating out for a month (except for an occasional date night). Our goals are to lose a little weight, eat healthier, and save money.

It's not that we ate out a LOT before. I would eat out maybe 1 or 2 times a week for lunch. My work is stocked with a fridge, freezer, microwave, and even a toaster oven so bringing lunch is easy. But when EVERYONE else has delicious hot lunches from a nearby location, well, temptation is hard to overcome when your stomach is growling. Kase, on the other hand, has it rough. His work doesn't always have a fridge or microwave (depending on which location he is scheduled at). So he would eat out for lunch most days, or not eat any lunch at all.

Then there was the temptation of eating out for dinner. I would be driving home late and pass by taco bell, a favorite at our house, and think "well, it's really late and I don't think we have any good food at home. Taco bell is cheap." Or friends would invite us out to dinner and we wouldn't want to say no. It was just easy. Not that we ate out every night, but it was easy to lose track.

So it's been 2.5 weeks since our not eating out and it's been great! I feel better and have been cooking more which is a goal I had set for myself. Kase has started back to school so he packs his lunch and eats between classes or when he gets to work.

As far as our goals, I know we've been eating healthier. We've even noticed we've lost a few pounds. And we are saving money. Groceries are still very expensive, but we have leftovers that go farther. So it works out better.

Plus when we have went out for date night, I realize the food doesn't even taste all that good.

This post is kind of boring, but I just wanted to remind myself that I have enjoyed our experiment and I plan on continuing it.

Also, I need good (EASY) recipes so if anyone has any PLEASE send them my way!!!! :)

1 comment:

Erin_C said...

We try to limit our eating out to once a month (on our own money--if parents are paying we're more flexible;-) on vacation or when we eat out a few times in a row i always feel sick. one thing we do is make extra for dinner and then take the leftovers for lunch (i used to when i worked--now chris does). makes for a yummy lunch and even if groceries seem expensive, its really way cheaper than eating out!