Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Great WWW.

While reading this website last night I saw this website.

It is a website where people post pictures of items they would take with them in case of fire. It is neat to see what people think of.

My parents had a house fire once and their dining room table had a large burn scar on it. As a child I was always a little fearful of this. So I have always had a list of things I would grab if I could.

When I lived in an apartment by myself, I would always pray that my building would not catch on fire. Another building in the complex had burned down years ago, and being that the apartments were a little.... old.... I strongly felt that it could be a possibility. Not to mention the fire station seemed to be called out to our area a lot. For a while, I would mentally go through my list before I went to bed at night. Yes, it was a little morbid and a lot weird.

One night, I felt that I should say a special prayer of protection over my apartment. Then sometime in the middle of the night, I awoke to loud sirens outside and a banging on my door. I remember stumbling out the door of my apartment into the hallway. Then down the hallway pushing open the back door. I was filled with shock as I stared at the building behind mine which was engulfed in flames.

Thanfully, no one was hurt in the fire. The building was a total loss, and many people lost their homes. One of my friends lived in the building next to the one that was of fire. Because of the direction of the wind, she had to gather her family and leave for the night just in case her apartment caught on fire. Possessions can be replaced but sometimes it is interesting to think of what you would grab if you could.

My list: MY FAMILY OF COURSE, any scrapbooks I can carry (I worked hard on those), my scriptures (I have marked them just the way I like), the afghan blanket my granny made me, wedding rings, my journal, car keys, wallet, and cellphone.

My list has changed over time. Mostly I would just want to get my family out safely. Also, now that I live in a house that is more than one level, I feel that most of what is on my list would not be feasible to grab in a hurry. (scrapbooks are all the way downstairs so that probably wouldn't happen.)

What is on your list?

2 comments:

Jonathan and Sarah said...

that is so funny! I have often times though about ways I could get my scrapbooks out without risking my life! glad I'm not the only one making plans to try and haul my heavy scrapbooks to safety!

Brittany said...

Oddly enough, I have also thought about this several times. As long as I had my family, I don't think there is anything I couldn't replace. All my scrapbooks are digital, so if they burned I could have them reprinted. There are a couple heirloom pieces of jewelry (that I never wear, of course) that mean a lot to me that I would probably regret not getting and I can't think of anything else.

Hmm...now I will be thinking about this even more.