Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Surprise Surprise

"I have the best surprise for you" my husband said this past Saturday. Of course, I don’t really like surprises. I like to KNOW what is going on. But for two days, he kept it a secret. All of my investigative work did not payoff.

Finally, the day of the surprise came. After work, I raced home and found my husband waiting at home. I think he was just as excited as I was. We got in the car and drove. "Close your eyes and NO peeking" he said as we began to drive out of the neighborhood. So I shut my eyes tight as we made too many turns for me to figure out where we were going.

Suddenly, the car stopped. Feeling a little carsick and with my eyes still closed, I followed Kase into a building that smelled....... like popcorn. "Are we at the movies? Are you sure this surprise is for me?" Then I heard his parents and brothers. "WHAT is going on?" I thought.

Tickets were picked up, popcorn and candy was bought, all while my eyes were STILL closed! I was finally allowed to open my eyes as we found seats in the theater. I waited for the mystery movie to begin. Was it Star Trek (again)? Was it some movie that I had never heard of? What WAS it?

The lights dimmed, but there were no previews. Odd. Then.... a familiar sound of clocks began ticking...... What was it? Why it was none other than my VERY FAVORITE MOVIE EVER:

BACK TO THE FUTURE

(Part I of course.)

The theater was playing it as part of a "Blast from the Past" summer movie event. I got to see my favorite movie on the big screen in the theater! Great Scott!!!! All because my husband rocks.

We had a great time. My husband is so sweet to work so hard to surprise me. Kase, you are my density.... I mean destiny.

Watching the movie in the theater was like going back in time to 1985. In fact, when I think about it, I am pretty sure that my parents were about my age when they saw Back to the Future for the first time in the theater. So it was like I went back in time to 1985 and saw the movie just like my parents did. Oh man.... this is heavy.

5 comments:

Beth said...

I love that movie too!! Ahhh Kase is the sweetest.

Beth said...

p.s. I can't believe you kept your eyes closed the whole time!!

erin said...

Back to the Future is a great movie. Way to go Kase!

Gina said...

Hi I'm Gina,
I followed your link from CJane,What a wonderful surprise your hubby organised for you! You did well to keep your eyes closed. I think I would have peeped!

Michelle @ Twig said...

Hi Laura, just saw your "delurking" comment on my blog and wanted to stop on over and say hello! I love de-lurkers...that's how we all become friends. Thanks for visiting and I'll be coming back here too!